Vegan Latkes Inferno
Courtesy of Chef Raegan Steinberg, Arthurs Nosh Bar
Chef Raegan Steinberg of Montreal staple, Arthurs Nosh Bar has created a new take on parmigiana that your vegan and on-vegan customers know and love. It combines classic latkes with the signature Italian dish, inferno. The crispy potato pancakes covered in a velvety tomato sauce and topped with melted, Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shreds, this dish is dressed to impress and will be a menu favourite, for operators.
> 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and grated
> 1 medium onion, grated
> 2 large eggs, separated or flax egg
> 1/2 cup grated white onion
> 1/4 cup potato flour or matzo meal
> 2 teaspoons kosher salt
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
> Canola or Avocado oil, for frying
> ½ cup Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shreds
> ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
> 1 small onion
> 2 cloves garlic
> 1 can (32 oz) San Marzano tomatoes
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
> ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
> ¼ onion powder
> 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
> 4-6 basil leaves
> 4 tablespoon vegan butter
> 2-3 tsp chili oil or hot sauce
> 1 teaspoon olive oil
> 1 teaspoon Vitalite Plant-Based Parmesan Extra-Fine Flavoured Shreds
For the Latkes:
- Place a large strainer over a large bowl. Using a large hole box grater, grate potatoes, followed by the onion and strain.
- Transfer the potato and onion mixture to a large, clean bowl. Add egg yolks or flax egg, potato flour or matzo meal, salt, pepper, baking powder, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the pan for each latke. Flatten gently with a spatula. Fry until the latkes are crisp and golden brown or for about 4 minutes per side.
For the Marinara Sauce:
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add tomatoes, basil and simmer covered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick.
- Add salt, spices and dried herbs. Stir and add vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add unsalted vegan butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavours.
- Add half the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
- Place two latkes in an oven safe dish and cover generously with tomato sauce.
- Top with Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shred.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes at 375F.
- Broil for 2-4 min until the Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shred is melted and golden brown.
- Top with chili oil or hot sauce and olive oil. Finish with Vitalite Plant-Based Parmesan Flavoured Extra-Fine Shreds.
Chef’s Tip: Top this dish with chili oil or hot sauce to add an extra punch.
To learn more head to: saputofoodservice.ca
Leave a Comment