Courtesy of Chef Matthew Ravenscroft, Gia Toronto.
Chef Matthew Ravenscroft of Gia Toronto is known for serving up vibrant, feel-good eats that are primarily plant-based and this dish is no exception.
Covered in a melty, creamy sauce complete with Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shreds, Vitalite Plant-Based Parmesan Flavoured Extra Fine Shreds, pistachio pesto, black kale, and pangrattato, this dish is the perfect new menu addition.
Pistachio and Black Kale Pesto
> 1 bunch of black kale stems, roughly chopped
> 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
> 1 cup of pistachios, toasted
> 2 bunches of basil
> 1/2 lemon of zest
> 1/2 cup of olive oil
> 1 bag of Vitalite Plant-Based Parmesan Flavoured Extra-Fine Shreds
> 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
> 1 shallot, diced
> enough olive oil to cover the bottom of your pan
> 1 cup of plant-based cream
> 1 cup of Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shreds
> 1 bunch of black kale leaves, chopped
> ¼ cup bread crumbs, toasted
> ½ bunch basil, picked
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> ¼ cup of chives, sliced
For the Pistachio and Black Kale Pesto:
- Boil water and season with salt.
- Add kale stems and garlic. Bring to a boil until the stems are tender, roughly 8 minutes. Remove and cool entirely.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients and process until fully emulsified. The texture should be creamy with no chunks of kale stems remaining.
- Adjust seasoning to your preference.
For the Pistachio and Black Kale Pesto Cream Sauce:
- In a pan on medium-low heat, add your olive oil, garlic, and shallot. Sweat until it’s aromatic.
- Pour in the plant-based cream and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the Vitalite Plant-Based Mozzarella Flavoured Shreds and continue to stir until it is fully incorporated. As it reduces, the sauce will become more rich and thick.
For the Gnocchi:
- Boil water.
- Once the water is boiling add in the gnocchi. Wait for the gnocchi to float entirely.
- Add the pistachio and black kale pesto to the cream sauce and continue to stir until fully emulsified.
- Add gnocchi to pistachio and black kale pesto cream sauce and stir until fully coated.
- Plate gnocchi and top with toasted bread crumbs, pickled basil, olive oil, and chives.
Chef’s Tip: When blanching the black kale, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water before you bring it to a boil to keep a bright green colour! Also, be sure to cool the stems, and spread them out on a tray/plate in the freezer right away.
To learn more head to: saputofoodservice.ca